Aktualisiert: 20. Apr 2020
During the last couple of days, Stefan and I were pretty busy transforming our garden. I'm very happy to report that for the time being we're finished! On Tuesday, April 14th our plant delivery arrived. Beforehand, I was a little worried. We had already been informed about their shipment on Friday and I just hadn't been able to imagine that the plants would survive until Tuesday. Anyway, we got 3 huge boxes on Tuesday afternoon and, conveniently, the high bed borders arrived as well. We started unpacking and sorted them right away. For the most part, the plants looked pretty good. There are only two sorts of plants I'm a little worried about but I was proven wrong before so I decided to give them a little time to develop. The plant shop wasn't able to deliver the earth we ordered. Luckily, the garden shops already opened on Tuesday so we were able to buy earth from there. With all the necessary security measures, of course!
Plant Delivery! © Earth.Life.You
After work on Wednesday, we put the last plants into the left patch. It is almost done now but for one plant in the second high bed which is still missing. We're not able to get it right now as it's sold out at the moment. On the back left side of the patch I put in four anemones and in the front part of the patch on the right side I put in a few more bellflowers. The anemones were one of the plants I was worried about because I couldn't see a sign of life when I unpacked them. But today, only a few days later, I can see they are slowly developing some tiny leaves. I guess they will be fine. The goat's beard I put in a few weeks ago is already about ten times bigger than when I got it and I wasn't sure it was alive either when I got it!
Finished left patch, dead-looking Anemonia and growing Goat's Beard © Earth.Life.You
The next step on Wednesday was to transform the right patch. This was already built by the previous owners, but the borders of the high bed were in bad shape so we decided to replace them. Easier said than done... It was quite an effort to get all the rotten pieces of wood out of the ground without the earth in the high bed crumbling down. But we managed - to be honest, mostly Stefan managed that part ;). Afterwards we removed a few of the existing plants but we didn't have the heart to remove the various plants in the right lower high bed. The previous owner of the garden planted them and it was planned to remove them. We decided to let them be for now and just hope they will get along with the new plants...
Stefan rebuilding the high bed and finished right patch © Earth.Life.You
I will get into the kind of plants that grow in this corner later. Then we added one weigela and some blue leadwood (the other plant I was worried about) in the high bed and put in two St. John's wort plants and some different kinds of asters in front of the high bed. The maple, which Stefan wants to turn into a bonsai one day, and the rose were already there before the transformation and were considered in the planning. In summer it's pretty sunny, but in spring and autumn, this patch only gets a few hours of sun in the morning. It has already been thoroughly inspected by the nosy great tits. I love to watch them hop around the garden.
Weigela, blue leadwood, St. John's wort plant and asters © Earth.Life.You
Last but not least, we started with the middle patch on Thursday, my day off. Stefan and I worked pretty much all day on this one. First, we tested how much of the fence we would need for the high bed. We overestimated the amount quite a bit, so we have about 4 of these fences left... If anyone has need of such wood fences I'm happy to give them away.
Testing the size of the high bed © Earth.Life.You
After we decided on the size and the form of the high bed we started digging a ditch for the fences. Quite a lot of work, especially due to there being a lot of big pebbles which make digging extremely exhausting. There may have been uttered one or two curses ;). Let's just say we really longed for a "normal" garden with no garage underneath...
Digging the ditch © Earth.Life.You
After finishing we noticed that somehow the size of the high bed was smaller than planned and part of the fence didn't fit in anymore. So we put it all back out again and started to dig part of the ditch anew. Yay! Not annoying at all.
Too small!! © Earth.Life.You
Luckily, they all fit this time and we filled the high bed with earth and planted one dwarf and one small summer lilac and one dwarf deutzia. Sadly the dwarf Farrer's viburnum (by the way, the German name can be translated word-for-word with "small scented snowball"), which should have been the fourth plant in the high bed is also not available at the moment.
The fences are in! © Earth.Life.You
After that, we "only" removed the grass for the patches around the high bed and put in the rest of the flowers. Which sounds easy but, again, we had to dig about 40 small wholes in our pebbly ground. Blistered but very happy we finished the third and last patch!
Third and last patch done! © Earth.Life.You
All that's left for us to do, except for planting the missing plants once they are available again, is to sit back and enjoy watching them grow! I'm really curious if we will see more different kinds of insects once the new plants are blooming. Maybe even some butterflies, which are a rarity at the moment!
In the next post, I will introduce you to the new plant species in my garden. Furthermore, I will hopefully get around to post my interview with Victoria Lintner from "Naturnahe Zaubergärten", who planned my little wildlife garden. (unpaid advertising)
By the way: Mona didn't seem to mind our working in the garden at all. I could hear and see her scouring in the garden all day long :).
Happy Mona! No clue where she got this apple core from... © Earth.Life.You
Have a nice day!